Sunday, August 23, 2009

Close to an End


Dear Reader,
Building English Skills is one of the most interesting ones I have attended. The sole reason for joining the course is the topic that goes around using technology in the classroom. The topic is interesting and enables the teachers to get ideas and suggestions from the lecturer, the class guesses and colleagues. It is a hefty step towards using technology with students in the English classroom.
I have found that all materials used throughout the course are useful and usable for any place. Many of the issues discussed are previously known to me because we have so many enrichment courses according to the Israeli educational system. Also, I used many of the ideas discussed with my students.

Integrating technology in the English classroom required certain facilities such as computers, projector, smart board, etc. In my ELC, there are lots of facilities that help to teach through technology. Students from 7th-12th grades are the audience who will use the ELC. In fact, during the school year 2008-2009 students from all ages enter the center and are trained to use most of the facilities. This year 2009-2010 new students are the target audience who will be taught to use the center. The training started step by step and stage after the other, depending on students' level and skills.

After finishing the course, other programs have already planned. I have an internal online course through my school to train new teachers how to use the English Center where there are lots of technological facilities to be used in the English lesson.


Best Wishes

1 comment:

  1. Dear Maha,

    It sounds like you have your work cut out for you in training the new students and teachers. It's often a thankless task to be an ELC manager, since people are more likely to talk to you when things go wrong than when they work well.

    When I was Technology Coordinator at my previous workplace, I found that teachers often didn't believe me when I said that something was easy. After all, I knew all about technology. I found that if I worked with a non-techie teacher and had her explain how to use an easy tool or technique, then everyone believed it was easy and was willing to try it. I don't know if you've had similar experiences, but that was an eye-opener for me. After that, I always had other people explain how to do different things that were "easy" so teachers would try them.

    It's been great having you in the course - thanks for participating!

    Yours,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete